Saturday, October 31, 2015

Artwork #3




For this piece I chose to use pencil and paper (11x17). To most, this piece portrays an octopus, however it is truly up to the viewer to express what they really see. This piece is made from a series of somewhat simple scribbles, but in a way the small parts all work together to create something bigger and better. In the words of my art teacher, these smaller scribbles create an “implied line”.

This piece was never intended to be about anything. In a way, it came into its’ own existence from letting my mind wander while I happened to have a pencil in my hand. It is something from nothing. I had no idea this fun little doodle would eventually turn into a larger creature. I believe many others will see the octopus as I do, however there is still leeway that allows the viewer’s mind to wander. This piece tells its own story of how something came out of nothing, and how something originally thought to be abstract, would later on be altered, creating a new idea.

As noted earlier one of the main things this piece is good at doing is creating a false sense of order and shape. Its many small pieces help create an implied line. Others have suggested the addition of color into the “creature”, however I am convinced that doing so would distract and subliminally suggest what the piece is rather than let the viewer decide for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment